SUMMER DRAWING CLASS #11 of 12: Working from General to Specific with MARY SHEA. Aug 12, 2017. 2pm-5pm.
SUMMER DRAWING CLASS 2017
with MARY SHEA
Saturday, August 12, 2017
2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Register at 206-223-9599
Drawing involves working from the general to the specific (well, except with contour rawing, which starts and stays as specific as possible). We’re often told this, but not always given clear ‘how-tos’.
This three hour session will focus on strategies that help you see and build the large structure of your drawing before getting all involved in the details. This isn’t easy to do, or to remember to do, faced with a beautifully detailed world to draw - so having some examples and methods can help you find ways to stay aware of your whole drawing, especially in the beginning stages of your work.
Working from still life, students will practice several fun tried-and-true ‘general to specific’ exercises. We will also study other artists’ drawings to recognize how they followed this process. There will be time for a longer still life drawing, to let students find how this way of working can strengthen their drawings!
* Cretacolor Grey Hard Pastels, set of 8
* Graphite stick round or flat, (see below) but the larger the better - 2B or 4B
* Charcoal: soft vine charcoal, not compressed charcoal, a couple of medium or large sticks – this is sold in small boxes by Winsor Newton, Grumbacher, etc. There are also bags of Bob’s Fine Vine Charcoal – not that you need to buy a whole bag, but the large sticks are great, and the small sticks are the smallest you should bring, don’t get the thin little sticks that are so readily available.
* Eraser(s): one or two hard erasers, Staedtler Mars or similar- not the kneadable erasers
* Some regular white drawing paper (bring a drawing pad if you have one –should be at least 11” x 14” but 8’ x 10” will do in a pinch)
* One sheet Canson Mi-Tientes paper, 16” x 20” - grey (Moonstone, Pearl Grey, Steel – a medium, not dark, grey)
* Drawing board – not required, but useful. It should be suitable for the size of your drawing pad.
* Latex (or non-latex) gloves
2017 Summer Drawing Class Schedule: $35 each
#1: Sketching in Perspective Part 1 of 2 with JAMIE BOLLENBACH. July 1, 2017 2pm-5pm
#2: Gesture with MARY SHEA. July 8, 2017 2pm-5pm
#3: Drawing & Shading with Pen & Ink with JULIA CARPENTER. July 9, 2017 2pm-5pm
#4: Sketching in Perspective Part 2 of 2 with JAMIE BOLLENBACH. July 15, 2017 2pm-5pm
#5: Drawing Heads and Hands with JULIA CARPENTER. July 16, 2017 2pm-5pm
#6: Illuminated Letters with JANICE BERKEBILE. July 22, 2017 10am-1pm
#7: Value Sketching with Markers with SUE HESTON. July 22, 2017 2pm-5pm
#8: Sketching on Toned Paper with SUE HESTON. July 29, 2017 2pm-5pm
#9: Drawing On the Details with JANICE BERKEBILE. August 5, 2017 2pm-5pm
#10: Drawing Real World Part 1 of 2 with JAMIE BOLLENBACH. August 6, 2017 2pm-5pm
#11: Working from General to Specific with Drawing with MARY SHEA. August 12, 2017 2pm-5pm
#12: Drawing Real World Part 2 of 2 with JAMIE BOLLENBACH. August 13, 2017 2pm-5pm